Monday, May 03, 2004



Middle Class an Endangered Species?

In some ways I can identify with the family in the Sunday Star Times article. I will turn 28 this month and despite having a reasonable job, for me home ownership and a family seem a very long way off. I suspect at some point I will have to work overseas again to be able to ultimately afford the lifestyle that I want...I'm lucky because I could do this without too much bother. Other people aren't in a position where they could drop all their commitments like that.

Although Idiot is bang on in his analysis of the predicament that the middle class find themselves in, the "struggling middle class family" in question's problems are largely of their own making. At the end of the day they chose to have children that they couldn't afford...its no use whinging to Helen Clarke about it. Its also interesting that in their letter they took a swipe at Helen being childless....just like opposition parties have been known to do from time to time. I smell a rat.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. In any case, I think there is a huge personal responsibility component to this story that is being overlooked.

0 comments: