For best novel:
- The Algebraist, Iain M. Banks (Orbit)
- Iron Council, China Miéville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK)
- Iron Sunrise, Charles Stross (Ace)
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Susanna Clarke (Bloomsbury)
- River of Gods, Ian McDonald (Simon & Schuster UK)
It's a mark of how far I've slipped that I haven't read any of them. Oh, I own one, and have plans to acquire at least another three, but I'm a long way from the good old days when I'd have read the majority and many of the short nominations as well.
Oh, and if you're wondering why there's so many Brits nominated for an award traditionally dominated by Merkins, it's because the con is being held in Glasgow.
We now return to your regularly scheduled politics...