Friday, March 30, 2007



A day without a computer

Twelve hours of futzing about with CHKDSK and backups, and it looks like I have basic blogging functionality restored. Some files have been lost, but (probably) nothing irreplacable. I may still have to do a clean reinstall sometime in the near future, but I'm up for surfing and reading mail at least.

Meanwhile, this unpleasant experience has driven home just how dependent I am on my computer. In addition to its ordinary computing, data storage, and surfing functions, its also my TV, radio, media archive, recipe book, and memory. Without it, I'm either forced to rely on a laptop (mostly functional, but it just feels wrong), or resort to archaic methods of entertainment involving sequential access of hardcopy read-only storage media. On the plus side, this does mean that I've chewed through most of The Atrocity Archives...

So, back in business tomorrow, possibly with some extracts from my quickie submission on the government's Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change discussion document. But now, I have news to catch up on...

0 comments: