Wednesday, February 16, 2005



Now we are two

Today, No Right Turn turns two. It's been a big year - 61,109 unique visitors, and 1295 posts totalling 247,471 words. By comparison, in 2002 - 2003 I wrote less than half that; we're going beyond the short novel or overlong PhD thesis into serious wordage here.

In the past year I've tried to move towards longer posts, with more research and deeper analysis. I've also been syndicating the best of them through Scoop. This year I'll be continuing that trend. I've also been submitting on legislation and lobbying politicians and encouraging others to do the same, and I may experiment with using the blog as a tool in this area, for example by developing a submission online and getting people to sign up for it. And of course I'll be covering the election, producing a candidate survey, and recommending electorate votes accordingly (assuming anybody answers it).

That's a lot of work, and time constraints over the last few months have meant that I haven't been able to do all that I've wanted, but it looks as if I'll be getting my life back soon, so I'll be able to have another year of happy bloggage.

4 comments:

The government is bringing in emission testing as part of a vehicles warrant of fitness in 2006.

This is somewhat contentious as, unusally for vehicle regulations, it is not grandfathered and existing vehicles will have to comply. Most will and it's more a function of maintainence rather than anything else. Most older (with even huge engines) vehicles will meet the standards if they're tuned properly. Even my 3.5l V8. It's still of concern to owners of Classic and Vintage cars, as well as collectors of 'non-warranted' vehicles. Farmers were also concerned as it was ambiguos if non-warranted farm vehicles were to be tested.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=3526440

http://www.transport.govt.nz/business/land/vehicle-exhaust-emissions-policyq-a.php

http://www.transport.govt.nz/downloads/nzvesp-resource-doc22nov04.pdf

Posted by Anonymous : 2/16/2005 02:47:00 PM

bother, put the comment on the wrong post...

Posted by Anonymous : 2/16/2005 02:48:00 PM

Che: yes, but your 90K words were (hopefully) of academic quality, only a small proportion (and far less than half) of mine were.

Posted by Idiot/Savant : 2/16/2005 05:52:00 PM

Congrats, I/S. Keep up the good work, I look forward to reading NRT throughout 2005.

Posted by Asher : 2/16/2005 06:36:00 PM