Wednesday, December 07, 2005



73-47

According to Tony Milne, the marriage bill failed by 73-47, with slightly more opposition from National and NZFirst than expected. I'll post a voting roll as soon as I get one (most likely tomorrow), as well as commentary on any interesting speeches once I've got the details from Hansard.

Needless to say, I'm pleased with this result. New Zealand has not bowed to bigotry, and we have sent a strong statement to the religious right that we will not do so. I'd open the bottle of sparkling rosé I have in the fridge, but it's a little late. I guess I'll just have to hope for good weather tomorrow.

To all those who lobbied against the bill (and particularly to the six people who signed the pledge to do so), thankyou. I don't know how much of a difference we made, but I'd like to think we helped a little.

Update: Tony has a summary of the speeches here.

3 comments:

Well thats good to hear. It seems certain I was going to cry myself to sleep after the cricket result

Posted by Anonymous : 12/07/2005 11:19:00 PM

Will we see a similar stand against the Manukau street girls Bill?

Posted by Hans Versluys : 12/08/2005 09:28:00 AM

We will if I have anything to do with it.

Craig Y.

Posted by Anonymous : 12/10/2005 11:06:00 AM