Thursday, June 28, 2007



No comment

Over the past six months, I've noticed a significant deterioration in the comments section. The demise of the Sewer and crackdowns on other left-wing blogs have resulted in an influx of trolls, who have established a toxic and abusive atmosphere and progressively drowned out those commenters who actually have something interesting to say. I knew this was a possibility when I first established the facility, and frankly I am surprised it has taken so long.

While I could screen all comments, I have neither the time nor the inclination to do so, or to deal with the resulting recriminations. As I have repeatedly said, I have better things to do with my life than waste time dealing with trolls. But neither am I willing to accept seeing them turn my comments section into a sewer, or my blog into a platform for their preferred style of partisan shitflinging, bullying and abuse. So, I'm simply pulling the plug on them. If they want to engage in that sort of behaviour, then they can do it elsewhere.

Some of you may be unhappy with this decision. I'll simply point out that this is my blog, and that if you don't like the way I run it (or what I say on it), you are perfectly free to start your own.

Finally, I'd like to thank all of you who made useful and insightful contributions over the last few years. It was good while it lasted, and its a shame that the trolls have ruined it.