Friday, April 08, 2005



Acquisitions

Despite not having had time to read recently (something I'm working on fixing), I've still been buying books. Call it an addiction, if you will. Anyway, some recent acquisitions:

Tell Me No Lies - a collection of the triumphs of investigative journalism, edited by John Pilger
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive, on how the fate of human societies is intimitely intertwined with how they treat their environments, by Jared Diamond
Why I Write, by George Orwell, which is one of those lovely cheapie "great ideas" volumes put out by Penguin. Reprinting these and making them available cheaply is a great idea in and of itself - though most are probably available at Gutenberg for free.

Anyway, now all I have to do is find time to read them, in between my other projects and catching up with the Hugos...

3 comments:

Diamond's earlier book Guns, Germs and Steel was excellent, I'll be interested to hear what you think of Collapse.

Icehawk

Posted by Anonymous : 4/08/2005 08:47:00 AM

I am shortly going to start on Wealth by Stealth by Harry Glasbeek which looks pretty interesting. Its about how corporations are invested with legal "personhood" which they misuse to act in way akin to psychopaths.

Posted by Amanda : 4/08/2005 09:23:00 AM

Mm, I liked Guns Germs and Steel, but I'm not too enthused over Collapse. He appears to have glossed over a bunch of things about the viking stuff that have got some of my associates in the norse historical community up with ruffled feathers.

Zane

Posted by Anonymous : 4/08/2005 11:32:00 AM