Friday, April 15, 2005



Candidate survey launched

The candidate survey has been launched. I've emailed the initial batch of 160 candidates - basically everyone from National and Labour, plus a smattering of others.

Many of the smaller parties haven't completed candidate selection yet, while for others (United Future in particular) it has been difficult to find contact details for the people they have named. But several have also promised to send me candidate lists when selections are confirmed, and I'll be sending out further batches of surveys as details come to hand.

(Obviously if anyone can help with gathering candidate lists, please contact me. I'm particularly short on ACT and Green candidates at the moment, mainly because their websites are less than clear about who is standing and who is not).

The survey itself is here, and the current candidate list here. I'll put it into Access sometime, once I start wanting to run queries that I can't just do by sorting.

All I have to do now is wait, and hope that somebody replies to the bloody thing...

3 comments:

It's a great idea. However, I was surprised that there were no questions around public participation in resource management decisions as this involves an important bundle of rights in a modern society around one's ability to advocate on behalf of the environment, community, and oneself

Posted by Anonymous : 4/15/2005 05:16:00 PM

Icehawk: Oh, bugger. Ah well, 160 sent, I'll just have to wear it. Damn damn damn.

Geoff: a) people didn't didn't suggest it; and b) its not really likely to be the subject of a conscience vote.

Posted by Idiot/Savant : 4/15/2005 06:27:00 PM

i have already heard from an Alliance candidate who has received it and intends to get on to it quick smart. (not me)

The party list should be out mid May.

also you might want to do some analysis down the track, when you have responses, to see how many candidate's answers don't gel with their party policy. on many of these issues you are right, it would be a conscience vote, but even so it would be interesting to see (especially if they have a party rule that policy overrides conscience vote provisions).

Posted by Span : 4/17/2005 04:07:00 PM