Wednesday, June 14, 2006



Ligeti is dead

Gyorgy Ligeti is dead. For those who don't know, he's a composer, whose music was used without permission by Stanley Kubrick in the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm not a big fan avant garde music, but the stuff of his I've listened to so far is some of the creepiest, most atmospheric I've ever heard - and would make a perfect backdrop for the wrong parts of a game of Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, Insylum, or perhaps Puppetland (Hmmm... I detect a certain Tynes / Detwiller theme there...) I've been meaning to acquire a CD of his Lux Aeterna (used for the lunar surface in 2001) for some time now, and hopefully this will spur me into action...

3 comments:

Instead of just getting "Lux Aeterna", I recommend getting the whole "2001" soundtrack, it has other very cool avant garde music on it too.

Posted by Hans Versluys : 6/14/2006 02:30:00 PM

I already have it, and I've just acquired his Requiem (used for the Monolith); what I need to get is Atmospheres (used for "Beyond the Infinite").

Posted by Idiot/Savant : 6/14/2006 04:30:00 PM

There was a wonderful obituary on "The World" (BBC4 TV/BBC World weekday mornings at 7am)

Posted by Hans Versluys : 6/16/2006 01:15:00 PM