Thursday, June 23, 2011



Ardern and Kaye on same-sex marriage

The Herald's "broadsides" column this week asks Jacinda Ardern and Nikki Kaye for their views on same-sex marriage. Unsurprisingly, being young MPs, they both support it. Here's Ardern:

Votes in Parliament on issues like civil unions, prostitution and alcohol are generally conscience votes so, just as my vote is my own, so are my views. But if a vote came up tomorrow on the question of gay marriage, I would give my support because of the same principle - fairness.

I don't believe it's for me, the state, or anyone else to determine how a couple wants their relationship recognised; that is for them to decide. But it is absolutely our job to remove the barriers that stop people from having the same choices as everyone else and to ensure we are all treated equally and fairly by the law.

And Kaye:
If legislation came before Parliament I'd vote for it. I understand that for some gay and lesbian people the Civil Unions legislation represented a compromise and enabling same-sex marriage would be hugely symbolic.
(Kaye also comes out in support of removing the bar on same-sex adoption, BTW)

It would be great if these MPs got to vote on this change. Unfortunately, their parties are too scared of the bigots, too chickenshit, to permit it. John Key won't even talk about it. As for Phil Goff, he explicitly opposes any further progress. And so discrimination continues, because our politicians are too cowardly to confront it and call it what it is.