Wednesday, May 24, 2006



Another Abu Ghraib trial

Sgt Santos Cardona, the dog handler pictured above, went on trial yesterday on charges of assault, dereliction of duty, maltreatment of detainees, conspiracy to maltreat detainees and lying to investigators for using his dog to terrorise and attack detainees. If convicted, he could face up to 16 years in jail - but if the sentence handed out to his partner, Sgt Michael Smith, is anything to go by, he will walk away with a slap on the wrist, the US military jury having effectively endorsed torture (again). Still, I live in hope that justice will actually prevail.

A lawyer from Human Rights First, Hina Shamsi, is monitoring the trial and blogging about it here.

3 comments:

"Still, I live in hope that justice will actually prevail."

There is no such thing as justice. Idealists need to realise that.

Posted by Gooner : 5/24/2006 09:49:00 PM

So, Gooner, I take it you're happy to admit your right-wing politics are not in defence of any ideal, just outright defence of privilege and established power?

Posted by Anonymous : 5/24/2006 10:31:00 PM

Gooner: I think you've misinterpreted me. I don't for a moment think that the universe is naturally just, or that people get what they deserve (unless "what they deserve" is "eaten"). If we want justice, we have to make it ourselves.

While its history has been a constant struggle of its better nature against its worse, the US is a country which at least claims to have a strong commitment to justice. Its laws are theoretically capable of delivering it in this case. And that is what I am hoping will happen.

My natural cynicism, however, says I'm going to be disappointed.

Posted by Idiot/Savant : 5/25/2006 01:01:00 AM