Media reaction to the conviction of Tim Selwyn for sedition:
- TVNZ: Still a place for sedition charges
- NestalkZB: Extraordinary verdict in sedition case
- The Age: NZ axe thrower found guilty of sedition charge
- New Zealand Herald; Sedition verdict 'harms free speech'
- Dominion-Post: Axe flier ruled seditious
- NewstalkZB: Outrage over verdicts
- Radio New Zealand: Sedition verdict
There have also been blog posts at DPF, Not PC, Capitalism Bad, Tree Pretty, Oh Crikey!, Holden Republic, NZBC, and Liberty Scott. The latter raises the quite reasonable question of where the usual voices of liberalism within the political parties are on this. The Labour Party, who were once victims of this unjust law? Silent. National? Silent. ACT, who proudly proclaim themselves to be "the liberal party"? Silent. The Greens, usually a reliable voice on civil liberties issues? Silent. And of course nothing from the Progressives or Maori Party either. This is a serious civil liberties issue which threatens the freedom of speech of everyone in New Zealand - and our supposed representatives in Parliament refuse to say a word. Thanks, guys.
There was also a fairly long discussion on Nine to Noon this morning, which I'll blog about when the audio is up.