Monday, August 08, 2011



Proud to support MMP

A bit over a week ago, I was approached by a PR firm acting for Peter Shirtcliffe's "Vote for change" campaign, offering to purchase advertising space to promote their anti-MMP message. The results of that solicitation can now be seen in the sidebar: I'm hosting advertising for the Campaign for MMP, for free. Sorry, Mr Shirtcliffe, I'm not for sale.

I think MMP is the best electoral system for New Zealand. It limits government power, and gives us a Parliament that looks like New Zealand. Sure, it has its flaws - notably, the undemocratic 5% threshold, which limits both proportionality and representation - but it is still lightyears ahead of the alternatives, and those flaws can be fixed by the post-referendum review. So, in November, I'll be voting to keep MMP, then trying to make it better - and I hope you all will too.